All righty, who’s up for a quick make-ahead breakfast recipe? (Waves enthusiastically). Let’s jump in.
This custom recipe (that’s right, I made this one up myself) came into being when we were on a pantry cleaning kick. As in, we decided to eat what was in our pantry for a while instead of buying new groceries in order to save money – woohoo! And sometime around then, I glanced at some old fashioned oats I had, and thought about what I could do with them that would be kind of breakfast-ish, kind of granola bar-ish. I glanced at the recipe that comes on the package for cookies, and thought “hmm…. with a bit of this and a bit of that, and some extra flavour, I bet I could make some pretty awesome muffins”. So I did. And they were delicious! I’ve made 2 batches thus far, and they disappear pretty quick. Plus, it’s a one-bowl recipe, so yay for easy cleanup.
Oatmeal Breakfast Bites
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1 ½ cups old fashioned oats
- Preheat oven to 350. Line muffin pan with 12 cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl, beat or whisk butter and brown sugar together. Once smooth, add in vanilla.
- Add flour, baking soda, and salt. Mix well.
- Add in oats, mix again.
- Drizzle on some honey and add a splash of milk, mix very well.
- Sprinkle on cinnamon to taste (I like lots of cinnamon)
- Spoon into lined muffin pan. Bake in oven for 10 minutes, then allow to cool for at least 5 minutes.
That’s it! Pretty simple, right? I made these in the evening, and I’d have one for breakfast or a snack. They stayed moist for a good 5 days, so I was super glad about that.
Have you tried these? Or do you have any favourite oat recipes? Let me know 🙂