Here we are, in the midst of what has become known in diet circles as calorie bomb season. It can definitely be tougher to make healthy choices when we’re offered with not only lots of delicious food, but also lots of not-very-healthy food, and also likely doing some travelling. My best advice is not to stress about it too much, enjoy the time, make memories, enjoy the food, and try and be smart about it – eat fruit and veggies when they are an option, etc. However, I do find that having a helpful recipe or two up your sleeve helps as well, if you’re entertaining or contributing to the menu. Here is a delicious festive cheesecake (yes, cheesecake!) that is amazing as a lighter choice.
Chocolate Chip Candy Cane Cheesecake (original recipe here)
- 16 oz. fat-free cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup Splenda
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 6 oz. (about 2/3 cup) fat-free vanilla Greek yogurt, room temperature
- 1/2 cup liquid egg whites (about 4 egg whites), room temperature
- 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 3 standard-sized candy canes or 12 mini candy canes, crushed
- 1/2 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 9-inch cake pan with nonstick spray
- In a large bowl, mix together cream cheese, Splenda, and vanilla. Use an electric mixer for 1-2 minutes, mix until smooth.
- While mixing, add yogurt, egg whites, and flour one by one, gradually. Mix until uniform, about 2 minutes.
- Add in half of the crushed candy canes, mix in gently. Pour mixture into the cake pan.
- Sprinkle with chocolate chips. Bake until firm, about 40 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the remaining crushed candy canes. Let cool completely, and refrigerate for at least a few hours.
- When ready to serve, slice up into 8 slices, and enjoy!
There you have it, a refreshing and fun dessert with a crisp minty bite of candy cane that won’t fill you up with sugar 🙂 I enjoyed this one so much, I’ll probably re-make it with leftover candy canes!
Do you have any lightened up holiday recipes, or even just favourite holiday recipes?