Happy Monday, darlings! Who’s ready for a beautiful week of sun and fun? I know I am! In preparation for that, here are my five highlights for the past week:
- My new hair products: Blonde locks means a more rigorous care regimen, so I’ve picked up some of the good stuff – John Frieda’s Sheer Blonde shampoo and conditioner. I saw Lauren Conrad using it on a hair tutorial, and I trust her taste in blonde maintenance, so I got the Everlasting Blonde line. I also got some John Frieda Frizz Ease serum (that’s been a classic since the 90s). I find that I do need to heat style a bit more now, or else my natural waves end up looking a bit like a glam metal singer, and this serum has smoothed and softened my hair amazingly.
- Pedicures: A little while back, Nick’s mom came to town and we had a fabulous girls day – my first ever, actually! One of the fun activities was going for a pedicure at Nino D’Arena in Erin Mills Town Centre. It was my first salon pedi in 10 years, and it was amazing! I felt so pampered, and my toes left looking super pretty! It’s been almost 2 full weeks, and my sweet little pink toenails are still looking good as new! If you’re ever in the area, I’d highly recommend checking them out.
- My little Bath & Body Works treats: Part of the shopping trip was a visit to Bath & Body Works, one of my favourite stores. I left with a few items, including the cutest little travel hand sanitizer (in Pink Grapefruit Pop scent), as well as an amazing little hand cream for my purse, Vanilla Buttercream. It smells and looks like frosting, and I love it!
- Scoop neck t-shirts: A basic tee is always good to have on hand, and easy to make work in all occasions. A basic scoop neck tee that’s nicely fitted is better. I picked up a couple of these at Wal-mart (yes, really!), and have been loving styling them up and down, plus the pink colour is perfect!
- Luke Bryan music: I’ve always liked country music, but recently I’ve been enjoying it a lot more – something about summertime and generally clean lyrics. So I’ve been spinning lots of Luke Bryan this week while I’m working, doing chores around the house, and in the car, and it makes me smile.
So fun! Go ahead, pamper yourself, and turn up some fun tunes this week!
Posted in Beauty & Fashion, Life & Home, Uncategorized
Tagged beauty, fashion, fun, hair, happiness, life, love, makeup, pink, style, summer
Bonjour, mes belles! Hello and welcome to another fun (and blonder) installment of 5 Things That Are Making My Week. Here’s this week’s Top 5, starting off big with a whole new look for moi!
- My blonde hair! Of course, the biggest cosmetic change of my entire life. I’ve always wondered how I’d look as a blonde, and I LOVE it! I think I might have been an inner blonde all along, so this is very fun right now for me, and I feel pretty! It still feels so different, but it’s really given me a new lease on life, as well as an added boost of confidence.
- My shell & circle drop earrings: I received these earrings as part of a gift set years ago. Recently, I’ve been wearing them almost every day (I tend to repeat accessories a lot), and the slight shimmer and hint of seaside beauty feels very feminine and delicate. It makes me think of mermaids and beach vacations.
- Sweet Kale Superfood Salad: I was first introduced to this delicious salad by Nick’s mom, and it’s become a dinner staple for me at home. Everything is prepped, chopped, and fresh, and it’s so tasty and healthy! It’s got kale, broccoli, brussels sprouts, pumpkin seeds, a delicious dressing – in short, yum.
- Homemade Lavender Linen Spray: A simple mix in a small spray bottle, (1-2 tbsp rubbing alcohol, 10 drops lavender essential oil, and then water to fill), lightly spritzed all over the sheets, pillow and blanket just before getting into bed. It’s great for freshening up the linens, and the lavender scent is a beautiful natural relaxing scent to help with sleep.
- NYX Stick Blush: I have the Tulip shade, a nice natural pink. The blush leaves a rosy glow on my cheeks that not only lasts all day, but that I can also have control over the placement. For lazy makeup days, I just dab a bit on my lips and I’m set 🙂
I hope you enjoy these little bullet points. It’s been a fun, fresh week, and I’ve got a fun, fresh new look! I’ll keep finding out if blondes have more fun, but it’s looking like they might 🙂
What’s making your summer sweet? New foods, a new look? I can’t wait to hear what it is for you!
Posted in Beauty & Fashion, Food & Drink, Health & Fitness, Product & Service Reviews, Uncategorized
Tagged beauty, blonde, diet, dinner, food, fun, hair, health, healthy, makeup, natural, pink, summer, yummy
Hello and waving! I do hope your week is going well! We are gearing up for a road trip, and are excited about it 🙂 Here we go with this week’s installment, 5 things that are making my week, this week.
- My Neutral Dress Sandals: I bought a pair of cute sandals for the wedding we attended in Mexico. They’re sort of a nude/beige croc pattern with some metallic detailing and chunky heels, so they would look nice but be at least a bit suited to the beach just in case. They weren’t very pricey at all, but I’ve been wearing them all the time since we got back! They’re fun and summery, but also surprisingly comfortable as heels, so they’ve gotten lots of use this week.
- My Pink Gym Bag: A little while back I bought a gym bag (somewhere along the line, grocery store tote bags just weren’t cutting it anymore for my workout stuff). I wanted it to be cute, and found this adorable hot pink one by Nike. It’s cute and roomy enough for all of my stuff without being gigantic, since I do take it on the bus and subway. It’s really been making me smile this week, and just having it out makes me want to go to the gym more, so that’s definitely a plus!
- Virtual Fitness Classes: Speaking of the gym, I made a fun little discovery on Monday evening. Nick and I were at the gym, and one of my favourite classes, Sh’Bam (a dance cardio class), was scheduled for 9:30 that evening, but in virtual format. When I went to check it out, there was almost no one else there! A few ladies were using the studio to work out on their own, but I was the only one there for the class. It was actually amazing, since I had almost the entire studio to myself to bust out my moves… which is exactly what I did.
- French Women Don’t Get Fat: I’m rereading this old favourite, in an effort to refresh and clean up our diet. It’s a fun read, and has already filled me with inspiration for fresh, light eating using whole, natural foods and in-season produce for easy, tasty recipes. I’d highly recommend it for anyone that wants to read about healthy, balanced eating for life in a painless way.
- Bronzer: In the summer, as I move through various shades of tan and pale, that means playing around with various combinations of foundations and bronzers. One easy unresearched buy was Rimmel London’s Natural Bronzer, which I got in Sun Light. It is apparently waterproof (though I’ve never tested that feature out), but it is very good. It’s long-lasting, looks nicely even, and very very natural. I’ve been trying for a long time to find a bronzer that doesn’t look orangey on me, and that is also matte, since shimmery face powders make me look sweaty. This one does all of the above at a budget price, and I’m thrilled with it.
A bit of beauty, a bit of fitness, and a bit of fashion, these are what’s made my week just a little bit sweeter this time around. Have you tried any of these, especially the classes or book? And how have you been liking this first weekly feature?
Posted in Beauty & Fashion, Health & Fitness, Uncategorized
Tagged beauty, book, fashion, french, fun, health, healthy, makeup, pink, style, summer
Happy Friday! This has been a really nice week over here for us, and I’m really looking forward to a fun summer weekend! For today, I thought a nice lighthearted post would be good, and a new installment of What I’ve Been Wearing with some cute ideas for warm weather styles!
For a fresh office look that’s not exactly a full suit, I paired polished suiting separates with a pop of colour and a bright necklace that reminds me of vacations.
- Grey short sleeved blazer – Garage
- Black pencil skirt – Suzy Shier
- Pink tank top – Laura Petites
- Black patent pumps – Charles Jourdain, thrifted
- Silver necklace with turquoise pendant – souvenir from Mexico in 2012
This is a new dress that I adored from the moment I spotted it at Winners! I really like the bright colour and the nice figure-enhancing black detailing along the sides.
- Hot pink dress – Winners
- Black strappy sandals – Naturalizer, “Prissy” model
This is one of my favourite blazers, because of its unique detailing and fun colour. I like wearing it over a monochrome outfit to really bring out the blazer’s qualities.
- Pink embellished blazer – AliExpress
- Black lace cami – Smart Set
- Black pencil skirt – Suzy Shier
- Black patent pumps – Charles Jourdain, thrifted
These days, mornings and evenings can still be a bit cool, so I rely on a pretty, ladylike trench coat to keep me warm. This was a cute little outfit for running errands on a sunny Saturday.
- Beige trench coat – H&M
- Pink dress with zip neckline – Venus
- Pink purse – Miche, gifted
- White flats – Ardene
- Sunglasses – Rexall
Ah, flowy maxi dresses, how I adore thee! This was the dress I wore to the wedding we attended in Mexico, but dressed down it’s perfect for a day of shopping, exploring, or just relaxing!
- Blue maxi dress – AliExpress
- Black corset belt – Ardene
- Pink leather clutch – Aldo
- White low wedges – Joneve
- Sunglasses – Rexall
Those are some of my recent outfit picks. I love summer clothes, it’s so much fun to play with flowy and flirty outfits! I’m hoping to make this a more recurring feature, what do you think? And what have you been sporting this summer?
Posted in Beauty & Fashion, Uncategorized
Tagged black pumps, blazer, blue, dress, fashion, feminine, fun, life, maxi dress, office style, pencil skirt, pink, style, summer
Hello sweet friends! It’s so good to see you again, and to be back here in my little corner of the interwebz. I ended up taking a little break from posting while we were moving (more to come on that soon), and also we were in Mexico for a week!
It was such a wonderful trip, spending time with great friends in perfect weather, and being able to attend the wedding of two of our dearest friends, Alex and Sarah! We mainly had a lot of fun in the sun, time by the beach and pool, enjoyed delicious spreads of amazing food, and got some pretty fantastic tans. We stayed at the Riu Palace Riviera Maya, which was beyond all expectations, and which both Nick and I would definitely recommend. Below I’ve added a few pictures to give you a little sneak peek of what we were up to.
This was the beautiful beach – doesn’t that just look like it’s beckoning you?
Next, a few shots of the resort itself, which was stunning and palatial.
This was a part of our big group, all ready and excited for the wedding!
And of course… the gorgeous and very romantic wedding, which brought many happy tears to many eyes that afternoon! Congratulations again, Alex and Sarah!
Nick and I took a quick selfie on the beach while getting ready for group photos…
And here we are with the newlyweds!
This was a beautiful restaurant that had breakfast, lunch, and steakhouse dinner, and was right on the beach – we loved having lunch here overlooking the water 🙂
And last but not least, the stunningly beautiful lobby – believe me, this made quite the statement as we walked in!
Oh, just looking at those photos makes me miss it already! Though it is nice to get back to a routine. I’ve got more posts coming your way soon, since we’ve been very busy over here in the little pink castle.
Posted in Life & Home, Uncategorized
Tagged beach, beautiful, bride, family, food, friends, fun, happiness, life, love, marriage, mexico, romance, summer, vacation, wedding
What runs through your mind when you hear the words spring cleaning? Perhaps you have a bit of dread or fear as you look around and see piles of clutter with dust on them, and this might even lead to feeling overwhelmed. Perhaps you feel excitement and happy feelings, looking forward to clearing away that which is no longer useful and having a fresh clean slate. Perhaps you’ve even thought farther ahead, past the cleaning and purging, to the beautiful new boxes and upgraded items that you hope to bring in afterwards.
I’ve always liked the beautiful therapeutic ritual of spring cleaning, especially the purging of things no longer beneficial, but for a while I struggled with guilt over buying anything new, especially after getting rid of so much stuff. It was only with a lot of intentional thought about it that I eventually realized that I was not simply cycling through stuff, but rather continually tweaking and optimizing in such a way that I continually created more time, space, and energy to focus on the most important and vital aspects of life. It took me a long time to realize that what is good one summer may not be best the next summer. And so, if nature herself renews each year, shedding the loveliest rose in winter, in order to birth forth another more beautiful the next year, so too should I. This particular round of spring cleaning has been particularly intensive for us (but that’s another post entirely), and we’ve been turning over every item in our little home. It takes work and time, but the results will be so worth it.
However, this year I want to shift my focus just a little bit, and I encourage you to join me, dear friends. Beyond the simple spring cleaning to wipe away the grime and dust and grey of winter, let’s also engage in a deep and immersive spring clearing, ridding ourselves not just of possessions that are no longer helpful and clutter, but also of old habits that no longer serve, maybe even old ideas that hold us back. I’m feeling the need for almost a total cleanse or detox – not really in the usual sense of diet, but taking an inventory and an honest look at what is working and what isn’t, and then acting to release what is not working, and accentuate the positives. I know that many of us have some minimalist leanings and longings, and it only makes sense that if we desire space and to feel lighter, then we need to let go. So here are some things in my life that I am looking to release, replace, and increase.
Release & Replace
- rushing – replace with planning ahead and taking the proper time required
- stress – replace with gentle morning routine, regular naps, regular relaxing showers & baths, herbal tea, meditation
- clutter – replace with carefully curated, versatile items and neat organized files
- processed and artificial foods – replace these with homemade foods that focus on natural and whole ingredients, and to purchase high-quality foods
- hurried dining style – replace with intentional and more mindful eating, make the meal an event
- aimless web surfing – replace with purposeful, intentional times
- faith – getting more involved with our church
- sleep – going to bed earlier, having regular naps
- time spent in thought & intentionality – journaling, dreaming, and just being alone with my thoughts
- reading – I love reading… self-development, the Bible, fiction – it feeds my mind and my soul
- exercise – movement that feels good and strengthens my body
- fresh air – with warm weather come beautiful open skies, sunny beaches, and green parks, and I can’t wait to fully immerse myself in them
- creating – writing, designing, sewing, cooking, homemaking
- consistent routines – having a schedule, and morning and evening routines that help me be a better version of me every day
How’s spring cleaning going for you? Anyone else doing more clearing than cleaning this time around – or even adding new things into your mix?
Posted in Life & Home, Musings, Uncategorized
Tagged declutter, family, fun, happiness, health, home, life, natural, organizing, renewal, seasonal, spring, spring cleaning
Today, I’ll be sharing some of my favourite items this winter. A few are some of my fashion staples, a few of my beauty staples, and a few items just for fun. Here goes – my little list of wintery pleasures!
1 – My Long Leather Coat from Danier – This coat is beautiful. I’ve had it for a few years, and it’s a gorgeous bordeaux shade of lambskin leather. It’s lightweight, but lined with Thinsulate which makes it extremely warm. I’m usually a peacoat girl, so this one didn’t get too much use until the extreme cold kicks in. Once the temperature dipped way below tolerable, this has become my go-to coat in the mornings. I love the length, which keeps me very well bundled up, and that it’s dressy enough for wearing to the office, but has a few edgy design elements.
2 – My High Heeled Biker Boots from Xelement – If you’ve seen my What I’ve Been Wearing posts, you know that these are the boots I kick on most often on my way out the door. They’ve got the durable wear and ankle support of motorcycle boots (since that’s what they are), but also a well-designed 3.5” heel that lends itself to ladylike elegance. The wide heel makes them amazingly comfortable to walk in, and I can easily wear these all day. They’re also still available here.
3 – Arbonne Shea Butter Hand Lotion – This beautiful little tube is from the holiday collection, and I never leave the house without it. I’ve found this cold winter especially drying on my hands, and this is one of the few creams that I can actually feel working and seeping into my skin in the best way. I use it after every hand washing.
4 – Artistry Youth Extend Enriching Lotion – My skin is naturally oily, so I’m very careful about anything too rich on it. But just a tiny dab of this lotion on my face at night, and a small pump on my neck and decolletage in the morning and at night has been able to keep my skin soft and supple while avoiding dryness and flakiness. It’s available here.
5 – David’s Tea Red Velvet Cake Tea & Teal Perfect Mug – I have a deep appreciation for simple things that are beautiful – a well designed lotion package, a pretty mirror, a beautifully designed candle. The beautiful perfect mug from David’s Tea in their classic teal is one of those things – it makes me smile and feel pretty. But inside the mug, this particular tea blend that tastes like red velvet cake and has a pretty crimson shade to it as well is amazing. With a bit of milk or cream and some sugar, it tastes like dessert in a mug – yum!
6 – Zumba classes at the gym – I’ve recently started going to Zumba classes, and I think I’m totally sold on it! Not only is it super fun and a great workout, it makes me feel so alive and even kind of sexy. More than that, the fun latin-infused music makes me think of warmer climates and sunshine – I can almost pretend that I’m taking the fun dance classes poolside at a resort 🙂
How are you keeping pretty, stylish and smiling this winter?
(Photo of boots from Leatherup.ca, photo of Zumba dancer from Zumba.com)
Posted in Beauty & Fashion, Food & Drink, Health & Fitness, Life & Home, Uncategorized
Tagged beauty, fashion, food, fun, health, healthy, love, makeup, style, tea, toronto, winter, workout, zumba